33 Before 33 ~ Get a Tattoo

‘Get a tattoo’ wasn’t on my very first birthday list, but it was on my second, and has been on every one since. Given that I’m on sixth list, you can see how long this was has been hanging around, so I am thrilled that I have finally ticked it off!

When I first thought about the idea of a tattoo, I just wanted one, because I liked the idea of them. I think the reason that it has taken me so long, from that initial thought, is that I didn’t really have any idea of what I might like to get. Way back when, I wrote a blog post with a few ideas of designs that I quite liked the idea of, but nothing really stuck, so I didn’t do anything about it.

Fast forward a few years, and when two of my siblings got tattoos that were in memory of our mum, I quite liked the idea of doing it, but didn’t really know what to do. I’m not the sort of person to get ‘Mum’ tattooed on me in any way, and I was struggling to come up with anything else.

When I thought about what meant most to my mum, all I could come up with was her children. I’m one of six children, and the idea of getting a tattoo that recognised my siblings and my mum (and dad) stuck, and because I’m a bit of a loser about even numbers, the number six just seemed to work.

So when my friends Hannah and Lucy decided to book in for a spur of the moment tattoo, I decided to get in on the action. We booked the appointments on the Monday, and had the tattoos done on the Saturday! Nice and quick, so not too much time to think about it, and all I had to do was decide on exactly what I wanted. I toyed with the idea of a six in another numerical system, like Roman numerals, or something similar, but ultimately I really like the shape of the number six, and I just went for it!

If you know me but at all, you’ll know that this is my ‘I’m pretty nervous but I’m trying to be totally cool about the whole thing’ look. I was really apprehensive, though about what, I’m not really sure. I knew that it wasn’t going to hurt an awful lot, but I think I was worried about the permanency of it. I really didn’t want to regret it!

It’s actually a little smaller than I probably would have preferred it; I was imagining it a little bigger. But in the same way as I find it really hard to tell a hairdresser exactly what I want, I couldn’t actually articulate to the tattoo artist that I wanted that; when he suggested that I didn’t want it too big, I found myself agreeing with him, even though what I wanted to say was ‘Maybe a little bit bigger?’ But ultimately I’m really pleased with it. I think it’s very me, and I love that it’s just there, waiting to be spotted, but not in anybody’s face.

Now that I’ve had one, I already have at least three more that I want, but I can’t decide where on my body I would get them. My feet and ankles are probably my preferred areas for now; while I think they look great on other people’s upper arms, I just don’t think that’s for me. I’ll keep you posted on any future ink adventures I take!

27. Get a tattoo

7 Comments on 33 Before 33 ~ Get a Tattoo

1. Lauren
    July 12, 2015 at 10:43 pm (2 years ago)

Your tattoo looks so cool!
    I have been tempted to get a tattoo for a while. 🙂
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

• Jane
      July 25, 2015 at 11:02 am (2 years ago)

Thank you – you should do it if you have something you really want to get – it doesn’t hurt that much! 🙂

2. Angela
    July 13, 2015 at 2:10 pm (2 years ago)

It looks great! Tattoos always work best when you put a lot of thought into them (and whether you’ll still love the idea in a few years time). I love my tiger lillies that I agonised over for months and months!

• Jane
      July 25, 2015 at 11:01 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! I think agonising over them for months just makes it better when it finally happens!

3. Sarah
    July 15, 2015 at 4:20 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve wanted a tattoo since I turned 30 and I’m almost 35 now and still haven’t done it! But, like you, it was trying to decide what I wanted. Where I want it has never waivered (on the inside of my right wrist) but the what has changed frequently. I think, having just read your post and the previous post with tattoo inspiration, I think I have finally decided! I’ve been toying with an anatomical heart for a while now – it’s one of my favourite shapes, it’s very me. But that on it’s own didn’t seem right. And then you showed me the e.e. cummings quote – also my favourite poem (I even had it as a reading on our wedding day) and suddenly it makes sense! Now I need to take the step of booking in! How do I even go about finding a decent tattoo studio?!

• Jane
      July 16, 2015 at 1:07 pm (2 years ago)

This is amazing – I’m pleased that my post inspired you a little bit! Your design sounds amazing, I’d love to see it when you get around to doing it!

In terms of a studio, I went with a friend who had already been to that particular place, and she was happy with the way her first tattoo turned out, so I trusted them completely. It’s obviously a bit daunting, but I think the best way to find one is to speak to people who have had them done and find out where they went.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 33 Before 33 ~ Get a Tattoo

1. […] went and got pregnant, repeatedly (just twice, really), and I got bored of waiting, so I went and got one by myself. This year, Anna was finally foetus-free, and we finally decided that now was the time to do it […]