Book Love ~ BEDM

Firstly, can I say how proud I am of myself for getting to Day 11 of this challenge without missing a day. The real challenge is ahead of me, as I have a weekend away coming at the end of a busy week, so I am going to have to be super organised and schedule a few posts!

Today’s prompt is all about books. I don’t think it’s any secret that I am a big reader. I talk about books all the time on this here blog, and I’m a part of the team at Hanging On Every Word (though I need to pull my finger out and post a bit more regularly over there!). This year, I am aiming to have read 75 books by the year’s end, and I also have an A-Z challenge going, which you can read about here (and feel free to suggest any books for letters that are not yet filled!). So it’s safe to say that I read a lot, and I love it.

One of my favourite things to do (apart from reading) is to make lists of books that I want to read. It bothers me a lot that I won’t get to read all the books I want to in my life, because there are just too many. I use Goodreads to keep track of the books that I want to read, and I also have an Excel spreadsheet that is colour-coded and organised into different workbooks according to what category the book falls into.

So for today’s blog post, I thought I’d share some of the books that are on my to-read list, rather than try to narrow down my favourite books. It’s impossible, so I’m just not going to bother trying.

Jambusters: The Women’s Institute at War 1939-1945 – Julie Summers

Lots of the books that I am adding to my to-read list recently are non-fiction. I haven’t read an awful lot of non-fiction in the past, but that’s changing, and this is one the books that I hope to have read by the end of the year. I love anything about World War II, especially social history, and I’m sure that the story of the Women’s Institute during the war years is fascinating.

Dear Bess: The Letters From Harry to Bess Truman, 1910-1959 – edited by Robert H. Ferrell

Another non-fiction book (I told you), but I’m having some trouble getting hold of this one, so I don’t foresee having read it by the end of the year. As I’m sure I’ve mentioned once or twice, my biggest area of interest, by far, is the American Presidency. I love reading about the politics of the office, but I equally like reading about the relationships and the history of the men who have been president. This book has 600 letters of the 1268 written between Harry and his wife Bess that were found in her house after her death. Books of letters are fascinating and give a totally unique insight into the lives of people, so I’m hopeful that I’ll get my hands on this before too long.

Serena – Ron Rash

One of the lists on my aforementioned spreadsheet is a list of books that have been optioned for films. I love to watch film adaptations of books, but I obviously prefer to have read the book first. This isn’t so I can be a dick and do the whole “But in the book…” (I hate people like that). It’s so that I can judge the book on its own, without Hollywood creeping in. So my research has allowed me to make a list of books that are on their way to being films, and this is one of them. It’s set in 1929, and tells the story of George and Serena Pemberton, who travel from Boston to North Carolina to set up a timber business. I’m interested to read about 1920s America that isn’t about the jazz age. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are in the film, which is probably going to be out at the end of the year in the UK, so I’ve got a while before I have to read it.

Lessons in French – Hilary Reyl

Usually I know where the books on my Goodreads ‘Want to Read’ list have come from. Mostly, they match up with my spreadsheet, and I know that they have come from a recommendation, or are on some list of top 100 books that has been published somewhere. But this one is a mystery. I know I really want to read it, but I don’t know how I came across it. Anyway, that doesn’t matter. What matters is that this is set in Paris in 1989, and it looks ace. I don’t read an awful lot of books set in the 80s, but I can already feel that I’m going to enjoy this one, as soon as I get around to reading it.

In the Garden of Beasts – Erik Larson

This one is currently in my bedroom, on loan from the library, waiting to be read. It’s another non-fiction book, telling the story of William E. Dodd, the first ambassador to Nazi Germany, and his family. I am interested to read about the period of time (they arrived in 1933) where the world was largely ignoring what was going on in Germany, as I’ve read so much about the immediate lead up to World War II, and the war itself. I also want to read another book by Larson, called The Devil in the White City, about the 1893 Chicago World Fair.

What are you going to be reading next? My to-read list is never long enough (despite being very long), so let me know if there’s anything I should be reading! If you are on Goodreads, feel free to add me as a friend!

18 Comments on Book Love ~ BEDM

1. rosalilium
    May 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm (4 years ago)

Whoa! You’re going to read 75 books? That’s a great challenge. I love your recommendations here, they are all new to me. 🙂

• Janey
      May 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm (4 years ago)

I’m going to *try* to read 75! I’m lagging a bit behind at the moment, but I’m hoping to pick it up over the summer. I managed 83 last year having set myself the 75 target, so I really want to do it again! 🙂

2. Daire
    May 11, 2013 at 4:36 pm (4 years ago)

I’m currently reading Driving Over Lemons and I’ve just finished Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham (aka Lorelei Gilmore) but I’m not too sure what I’m moving onto next… maybe Dangerous Liaisons or The Ghost Circus?

• Janey
      May 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm (4 years ago)

Ooh, I want to read Someday, Someday, but I’ll have to wait until the library gets it in!

3. bevchen
    May 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm (4 years ago)

I have a hand-written list of books I want to read! There must be about 300 books on it at the moment…

I’ve just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, which I LOVED and am now reading A Prayer for Owen Meany (because it’s on the BBC Big Read Top 200).

• Janey
      May 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm (4 years ago)

I love having to read lists. It means I never have to spend too long thinking about what comes next, I just pick one and get going!

I tried Gone Girl but gave up with it. I don’t know why, I’m going to go back to it at some point because I hear nothing but good things about it!

4. RuthGRuth
    May 11, 2013 at 6:27 pm (4 years ago)

I love that you have a book spreadsheet – very impressive! Really like the sound of your suggestions too, will definitely check them out!

• Janey
      May 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm (4 years ago)

A spreadsheet is the only way that I can keep myself organised! 🙂

5. Chantelle Wallace (@ladynamedc)
    May 11, 2013 at 6:30 pm (4 years ago)

These sound so good, today is a bad day for my Amazon basket, nearly all of those titles have been added!

• Janey
      May 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm (4 years ago)

Oh dear! Yes, that’s the problem with a post like this, everyone has such good recommendations! I’ve added a lot to my own list 🙂

6. Jen
    May 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm (4 years ago)

Oh those look like some really great reads. And I’m a big fan of lists and colour-coding so love the spreadsheet! I am in need of some ideas for books to read and I shall definitely be coming back here or visiting your goodreads for that. Great post! : )

• Janey
      May 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by! I am really excited to read all of them!

Lists are essential – and excel is a godsend for something like this 🙂

7. josie
    May 11, 2013 at 10:25 pm (4 years ago)

Some great recommendations- I’ve not heard of any of them but they all sound really interesting. Added to the reading wish list!

• Janey
      May 14, 2013 at 12:28 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for your comment – I think everyone has been adding to their lists with this BEDM post!

8. Jodie
    May 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm (4 years ago)

These are some great recommendations, I think most of them will be going onto my own reading list! Good luck on your 75 book challenge, it’s made me want to start reading more although I don’t think I could manager quite so many in one year!

I have a similar Excel spreadsheet for films I want to watch. Its a good way of keeping track of what I’ve seen/want to see!

• Janey
      May 14, 2013 at 12:29 pm (4 years ago)

I love Excel – it might seem a bit sad to have colour coded lists but I think it’s the only way to keep organised!

Glad you liked the sound of some of the books; my favourite way to find new books is to have them recommended to me by others, so I’m glad to have done the same for someone else!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Book Love ~ BEDM

1. […] Days seven, ten and eleven: Three pets I could see myself having, travel dreams, and five books I want to read. […]